Monday, February 22, 2016

Sales job

It was towards the end of the week last week, I decided to revise both of my resumes, data analyst and solar sales as I wasn't getting any response from the jobs I had applied. I again thought, what's the point of investing time finding a job as a data analyst, when I really want to get into Solar and sales? It was my light bulb moment, then and there I decided to drop my quest for analyst job and narrow it down to Sales job only. I spent the next couple of hours to edit my resume to highlight more of my sales type of job experience from the past and briefly mentioned my engineering experience towards the end of the resume. Truth be told, I borrowed few phrases from the book "Autobiography of Yogi" to help enhance my writing skills.

Me and Babita had planned for joining swimming at the Brunswick Bath last week. The date we had set was for Thursday, Feb 18th. She called me off-guard as I had completely forgotten. Eventually, my wife, daughter, Babita and Prabhat (her husband) and off course me ended up in swimming pool around 6pm. After about 2 hours, we decided to eat dinner at a local thai restaurant. So we did.
But on our way to the restaurant, Bijaya noticed a missed call from "Joe" and the voice mail was addressed for me. I had given her cell# in my resume as I didn't have a cell phone. I decided to call Joe back the next morning in a fresh mood.

Joe invited me for an interview in Hoopers Creek at 3:30pm Friday, Feb 19th. I dressed up and showed up for the interview. It was great and Joe actually really impressed me with his business. I only wished to have an opportunity to work and learn from the guy. The job was "Solar Sales consultant" with base pay + the commission. I called me this afternoon to find out if I was selected. Joe recognized me with my American+Nepali accent even before I told him who it was. Then, he asked me to come for 2nd interview this coming wednesday. I am stoked about this opportunity because this is all I was looking for, a place and an opportunity to get into solar industry. With no major sales experience I was a bit concerned. However, Joe liked what he saw in me, acknowledged my self learned technical strength and truly believed in me. I am thankful to him for giving me the opportunity. I will not disappoint him.


No comments:

Post a Comment