Saturday, January 30, 2016

Clean tech, Solar energy

This is what I have accomplished in few days of my online journey of Solar industry:
  1. There is a lot of Solar learning resources (online or offline) available from USA than from Australia. But for online material, doesn't matter where you live off course.
  2. Clean Energy Council (CEC) is Australia's peak body for clean energy. They are responsible for accreditation/certifications and things like that for solar professionals.
  3. In US, there is NABCEP and few more I believe.
  4. This interactive career mapping tool available here was really helpful for me to scope out opportunities and path to the top in the field of solar. 
  5. Downloaded ebook "The Clean tech Revolution" from Brunswick library and read the portion on Solar Energy. Lots of information on renewable energy in general and the history of alternative energy. It's very assuring based on the writers prediction that Solar career is the way to go.
  6. "Net metering" is a concept where you sell energy when not needed and then buy back when needed, in it's simplest term. Very popular among solar owners in California. More here  
  7. Among the solar certification programs I have come across, I liked Penn State's Graduate Certificate in Solar Energy program. Cost is close to $10k and requires 12 credits worth of classes. If you are looking to jump directly into project manager type of job in solar, this is ideal. If you want to slowly climb up the ladder from sales all the way up, SEI designed certification courses are probably the right choice, mostly because of the flexibility of the classes and the cost of the certification. Courses are also offered more frequently that way you don't have to wait for months at a time if you missed any course.
  8. I signed up for free online course with SEI called RE100. It seems to be a basic crash course on renewable energy. 
It's been two weeks since I have moved to Melbourne, Australia. As I mentioned in my previous post, we have a two bedroom unit signed up that we are moving in towards the end of February. Yahvie has started going to public school since yesterday. It wasn't really her first day to school because she was attending in Nepal already. I guess it was her first day at school in Australia. Apart from venturing solar industry, I managed some time to update my resume. I am hoping to get a job as Data Analyst because that's what I did most of my engineering career at Micron Tech. Next week, I plan on searching for a job aggressively with the help from job agency assigned to me by govt welfare program. I am a bit more outgoing than I would've really liked. I am already itching to go out for dinner, movies, join a fitness club, and have a bit more pocket money to spend my way. Soon, I will want to buy a car, purchase toys and gifts for my 5th birthday girl. The lists goes on and on. So, I better get my ass off the couch if I haven't already and set priority to find a decent paying job. First thing first.


No comments:

Post a Comment